FOR RELEASE CONTACT
College Affordability, Campus Smoking Ban,
Combating Sexual Assault on Campuses, Hospital Caregiver Requirements, Notification When Sex Offender Placed in Halfway House & Cameras on Police Vehicles Top Thursday Assembly Hearings
(TRENTON) - Making college more affordable, banning smoking on college campuses, combating sexual assault on college campuses, requirements for hospitals regarding patient-designated caregivers, cameras on police vehicles and community notification when a sex offender is placed in a halfway house highlight Thursday's Assembly committee action.
The hearings are scheduled to start at 10 a.m. and will be streamed live at:
· A2236 (Riley/Wisniewski/Benson/Lampitt) - Establishes "College Affordability Study Commission" to examine issues and develop recommendations to increase the affordability of higher education in New Jersey. 10:30 a.m. Higher Education.
· A2955 (Prieto/Lagana/Andrzejczak/Benson) - Establishes certain requirements for hospitals regarding patient-designated caregivers. 10 a.m. Health and Senior Services.
· A1025 (Benson/Mazzeo/Eustace/Wimberly) - Requires appropriate community notification when sex offender is placed in halfway house; prohibits certain county inmates in halfway house. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A1978 (Riley) - Prohibits use of tobacco products on the grounds of any public or private institution of higher education. 10:30 a.m. Higher Education.
· A2118 (Gusciora) - Authorizes Secretary of Higher Education to impose a fine against an institution of higher education that fails to appropriately respond to a student's allegation of sexual assault by another student. 10:30 a.m. Higher Education.
· A3128 (Mukherji) - Prohibits sale, purchase, barter, or possession of ivory or rhinoceros horn and items containing ivory or rhinoceros horn, with limited exceptions. 2 p.m. Commerce and Economic Development.
· A2280 (Moriarty/Mainor/Fuentes/Mosquera/Lampitt) - Requires certain police vehicles to be equipped with cameras. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2771 (Fuentes/Johnson/Burzichelli/Pintor Marin) - "The New Jersey Social Innovation Act"; establishes social innovation loan pilot program and study commission within EDA. 2 p.m. Commerce and Economic Development.
· A1907 (Burzichelli/Singleton/Lampitt/Wimberly) - Reinstates moratorium on imposition of Statewide non-residential development fees until January 2015. 2 p.m. Housing and Community Development.
· A2576 (Mukherji/Quijano) - "Parkinson's Disease Public Awareness and Education Act." 10 a.m. Health and Senior Services.
· A2859 (Eustace/Benson) - Requires Division of Consumer Affairs to install prescription medication receptacles in certain law enforcement locations. 10 a.m. Health and Senior Services.
· The Assembly Telecommunications and Utilities Committee holds a 10 a.m. hearing on issues concerning third-party energy suppliers, variable rate contracts and the rising cost of utility bills.
· A-2234 (Riley) - Requires Division of Travel and Tourism to prepare and implement annual advertising and promotion plan. 10 a.m. Tourism and Gaming.
· A683 (Cryan/Quijano/Lagana) - Requires mail-in ballot applications be available at polling places on election day for voting in future elections; requires poll workers to discuss application instructions with applicant upon request. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A939 (Singleton/Schaer/Benson/Eustace/Mosquera) - Enhances the reporting and disclosure requirements concerning State tax expenditures and limits the duration of new State tax expenditure enactments. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A1676 (Johnson) - Provides that crime victims do not have to pay fees to obtain records relating to the crime and that requests for such records are not public information. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A1726 (Eustace/Lagana/Mosquera/Vainieri Huttle) - Amends "Flood Hazard Area Control Act" to require DEP to take certain actions concerning delineations of flood hazard areas and floodplains. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A1947 (Conaway/Sumter/Wilson/Wimberly) - Requires county elections board give notice by Internet posting, mail or electronic means when polling place location changes unexpectedly before election; requires board develop plan for polling place change notification. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2303 (DeAngelo) - Requires certain State departments, divisions, commissions, and authorities to consider use of green or blue roof in construction of certain new State buildings, facilities, and structures. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2895 (McKeon/Prieto/Greenwald/Mainor/Jasey/Schaer) - Requires Attorney General to establish Statewide gun buyback program. 2 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2963 (Garcia/Jimenez/Mukherji) - Requires written residential leases to be provided in both English and Spanish in certain municipalities. 2 p.m. Housing and Community Development.
· A-222 (Gusciora/Wimberly) - Establishes that payment plan for motor vehicle surcharges is mandatory upon request; extends payment period. 2 p.m. Law and Public Safety.
· A-825 (Mainor/Benson/Wimberly) - Increases penalties for drunk driving with a minor as a passenger. 2 p.m. Law and Public Safety.
· A-2409 (Riley/Quijano) - Directs Department of Law and Public Safety to engage in Internet privacy and social media responsibility campaign. . 2 p.m. Law and Public Safety.
On the Net:
The Assembly Democratic Office Web site
NJ Assembly Dems on YouTube
NJ Assembly Dems on Vimeo
NJ Assembly Dems on Facebook
NJ Assembly Dems on Twitter
NJ Assembly Dems e-mail alerts