Scroll Top

Benson Encourages New Jersey Veterans to Submit Income Tax Exemption

(HAMILTON) – Assemblyman Daniel Benson is pleased to report that a measure recently went into effect that created a $3,000 income tax exemption for veterans. The provision applies to veterans who were honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States, a reserve component thereof, or the National Guard of New Jersey in a federal active duty status.

This exemption is in addition to any other exemption a veteran is entitled to claim and is available on both resident and nonresident returns. A spouse or civil union partner is also eligible for the exemption if they are a veteran who was honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances and they are filing a joint return.

“We owe it to our veterans to make New Jersey more affordable and reward them for their service to our country, so I encourage all eligible residents to take advantage of this valuable program,” said Benson (D-Mercer, Middlesex).

The first time a resident claims the exemption, they must provide official documentation showing that they were honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active duty. For example, a veteran may provide a Certificate of Release or a Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214. If a resident needs assistance in obtaining this paperwork, they can do so through the United States National Archives and Records Administration.

To certify documentation for a faster reply before a veteran files, they may provide their documentation and submission form to the Division of Taxation by:

  • Mail: The New Jersey Division of Taxation, Veteran Exemption, PO Box 440 Trenton, NJ 08625; or
  • Fax: 609-633-8427; or
  • Online: (Enter the notice code VET and select PO Box 440)

Residents can obtain the certification form from Assemblyman Benson’s office, or online at Veterans are encouraged to file the certification as early as possible but no later than with your state tax return filing.

For further information or if residents need help filling out the form, they can also contact Benson’s office at 609-631-0198 or