Family of Girl Injured in Road Rage Incident to Attend Vote
Assembly Environment Panel to Also Consider ‘Child Safe Playing Fields Act’
(TRENTON) – The Assembly on Thursday will consider Caylee’s Law to upgrade penalties for failing to report a death and criminalize the failure to report the disappearance of a child, tougher penalties for road rage in honor of a Mercer County girl seriously injured in a road rage incident, more bills to create jobs and economic development and shared services reform.
The Assembly Environment and Solid Waste Committee will also meet at 10 a.m. in Room 9 to consider the Child Safe Playing Fields Act (A-3621/3782) to restrict the use of lawn care pesticides at schools, child care centers and recreational fields. The legislation is sponsored by Annette Quijano (D-Union), John McKeon, Mila Jasey (both D-Essex), Connie Wagner and Valerie Vainieri Huttle (both D-Bergen).
The voting session is slated to begin at 1 p.m.
It will be streamed live at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/live_audio.asp.
· A bill dubbed Caylee’s Law in honor of Caylee Anthony to upgrade the penalties for failing to report a death and criminalize the failure to report the disappearance of a child after 24 hours (A-4297). It’s sponsored by John Wisniewski (D-Middlesex), Ralph Caputo (D-Essex), Connie Wagner (D-Bergen), Charles Mainor (D-Hudson), John McKeon (D-Essex), Vincent Prieto (D-Hudson/Bergen), Elease Evans (D-Passaic/Bergen) and Angel Fuentes (D-Camden/.Gloucester).
· A bill dubbed Jessica Rogers’ Law to upgrade assault by auto or vessel in situations involving road rage (A-676). Jessica Rogers is a young woman from Hamilton in Mercer County who suffered severe injuries as a victim of road rage. She and her family will be in attendance for the vote. The bill is sponsored by Matthew Milam (D-Atlantic/Cape May/Cumberland) and Wayne DeAngelo and Daniel R. Benson (both D-Mercer/Middlesex).
· Property tax reform legislation sponsored by Linda Stender (D-Union/Middlesex/Somerset) to limit annual fee increases in shared service agreements to 2 percent (A-3625).
· A bill that builds upon ongoing Democratic job creation efforts by establishing the Grow New Jersey Assistance Program tax credit incentive program for New Jersey-based companies that retain and create new jobs (A-4306). It’s sponsored by Albert Coutinho (D-Essex) and Herb Conaway M.D. (D-Burlington/Camden).
· Legislation to screen newborn infants for lysosomal storage disorders (A-2708). It’s sponsored by Jason O’Donnell (D-Hudson).
· A bill to prohibit those under 18 years of age from using indoor tanning facilities (A-2933/3640/2867). It’s sponsored by Kevin Ryan (D-Essex/Bergen/Passaic), Gordon Johnson (D-Bergen) and Upendra Chivukula (D-Somerset/Middlesex).
· A bill to improve the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II college scholarship programs (A-4283). It’s sponsored by Pamela Lampitt (D-Camden), Patrick J. Diegnan Jr. (D-Middlesex) and Gilbert “Whip” Wilson (D-Camden./Gloucester).
· Legislation to make investment funding available to small businesses and those owned by women and minorities to create jobs and economic development. It’s sponsored by Charles Mainor (D-Hudson).
· Legislation to improve coastal evacuation preparedness (A-3224). It’s sponsored by Nelson Albano and Matthew Milam (D-Atlantic/Cape May/Cumberland).