Protecting N.J.’s Military Bases, Computer Science Graduation Requirement, Ombudsman for Individuals with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities Also on Tap
Public Hearing on Proposed Pension Payment Constitutional Amendment also Scheduled
(TRENTON) – Legislation to prevent wage theft, protect consumers from surprise and expensive out-of-network health care costs, require firearms retailers to sell personalized handguns, the Wounded Warrior Caregivers Relief Act, help protect New Jersey’s military bases from closure and improve suicide prevention training in schools top Monday’s Assembly committee hearings.
The Assembly Judiciary Committee will also hold a required public hearing on the proposed constitutional amendment to require payments by the state to state-administered retirement systems and establish in the state Constitution the right of public employees to pension benefit.
The meetings are slated to begin at 10 a.m. and will be streamed live at:
· A-862 (Quijano) – Expands remedies for violations of wage and hour laws. 10 a.m. Judiciary.
· A-1952 (Coughlin/Schaer/Singleton/Lampitt/Spencer) – “Out-of-network Consumer Protection, Transparency, Cost Containment and Accountability Act;” and A-2866 (Singleton) – “Health Care Consumer Cost Transparency Act. 2 p.m.. Financial Institutions and Insurance.
· The Assembly Judiciary Committee meets at 10 a.m. to hold a public hearing on the proposed constitutional amendment (ACR-109) to require payments by the state to state-administered retirement systems and establish in the state Constitution the right of public employees to pension benefit.
· A1426 (Johnson/Vainieri Huttle/Eustace) – Requires firearms retailers to sell personalized handguns. 10 a.m. Judiciary.
· A450 (Mazzeo/Andrzejczak/Mukherji/Moriarty/Benson/Danielsen/Houghtaling) – Wounded Warrior Caregivers Relief Act; Provides income tax credit to family caregivers of certain armed service members with physical disabilities. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A323 (Singleton/Conaway/Taliaferro/Tucker) – Requires annual General Fund appropriation to DMVA for purposes of base realignment and closure. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2513 (DeAngelo/Pinkin/Andrzejczak/Tucker/Conaway/Land) – Establishes Military and Defense Economic Ombudsman in Department of State. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A3622 (Andrzejczak/McKnight/Vainieri Huttle) – Requires State to pledge to ensure availability of job training or similar activities to certain Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program recipients to prevent loss of benefits. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A-313 (Singleton/Lampitt/Quijano/Pintor Marin/Vainieri Huttle) – Requires certain additional school district personnel to complete training program on suicide prevention. 10 a.m. Education.
· A-2292 (Vainieri Huttle) – Requires review of Core Curriculum Content Standards to ensure guidance for substance abuse instruction provided to public school students incorporates most recent evidence-based standards and practices. 10 a.m. Education.
· A-2873 (Jones) – Requires completion of a computer science class as part of the high school graduation requirements. 10 a.m. Education.
· A-3396 (McKnight/Chiaravalloti) – Requires financial literacy instruction to pupils enrolled in grades kindergarten through eight. 10 a.m. Education.
· A-3412 (McKnight) – Requires depository institutions to provide paper account statements to elder adults. 2 p.m. Financial Institutions and Insurance.
· A1661 (Schaer/Danielsen/Sumter) – Expands eligibility of inmates for medical parole and requires inmate’s enrollment in Medicaid under certain circumstances. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A1768 (Burzichelli) – Directs State agencies to take certain actions to expedite permitting through use of general permits and permits-by-rule. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2061 (Gusciora/Singleton/Lagana/Lampitt/Muoio/Caride/Spencer/Mosquera/Tucker) – Provides that strangulation of victim resulting in bodily injury during commission of act of domestic violence constitutes aggravated assault. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2228 (DeAngelo/Lagana/Pinkin/McKnight) – Includes all disabled veterans in NJT discount program for senior citizens and persons with disabilities. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2547 (Singleton/Conaway/DeAngelo/Benson/Muoio/Houghtaling/Zwicker) – Permits small businesses to qualify for loans from NJEDA for costs of energy audit and making energy efficiency or conservation improvements. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2574 (Gusciora) – Clarifies stadiums and arenas owned by local government entities are exempt from property taxation. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A2844 (McKeon/Zwicker) – Amends Fiscal Year 2016 budget to provide one-half of certain environmental damage amounts recovered are appropriated for costs of remediation, restoration, and clean up. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A3610 (Conaway/Singleton/Greenwald) – Increases accidental death benefit to 70 % of final compensation for surviving children of SPRS or PFRS member; redefines child in SPRS. 1 p.m. Appropriations.
· A3824 (Vainieri Huttle) – Establishes Office of Ombudsman for Individuals with Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities and their Families. 1 p.m. Appropriations.