(TRENTON) – Legislation sponsored by Assembly Democrats Nancy Pinkin, Wayne DeAngelo and Timothy Eustace to prohibit unsolicited telemarketing sales calls to commercial mobile service devices was signed into law on Thursday.
The national “no call list” law currently prohibits all telemarketing sales calls from being made to cell phones, except that a cell phone service provider may call its own customers.
“The statewide “no call list” has helped to end intrusive telemarketing calls to New Jersey homes,” said Pinkin (D-Middlesex). “The law will now be expanded to stop telemarketing companies from now targeting residents’ cell phones.”
The new law (A-2933) clarifies the state’s “no call list” law to prohibit unsolicited telemarketing sales calls from being made to cell phones. The law stipulates that telemarketers would be allowed to contact customers who have provided telemarketers their contact information.
“Unsolicited telemarketing calls to mobile phones can infringe on consumers’ time and data plan,” DeAngelo (D-Mercer, Middlesex). “Residents will now have the option of placing mobile phone numbers on the ‘no call list’ and put an end to these annoying calls that impose on their lives and use up their minutes.”
“These unsolicited calls to residents’ cell phones are a nuisance,” said Eustace (D-Bergen, Passaic). “The ‘no call list’ is an effective tool used to combat the unnecessary intrusion telemarketing calls make on residents’ time and money. State law will now cover cell phones makes good sense.”
The bill was given final legislative approval by the Assembly in December of last year, 76-0. The Assembly Consumer Affairs Committee voted to release the bill on October 23, 2014.