Schaer Will Introduce Bill That Requires Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Mixed-Use Commercial Buildings after Tragic Death of Clifton Couple in CO Leak

Carbon monoxide leak at North End and Streets Rehearsal Studios in Passaic over the weekend left two dead and twelve others hospitalized


(TRENTON) – Assemblyman Gary S. Schaer on Monday said he will introduce legislation that would require carbon monoxide detectors in mixed-use commercial buildings, following the tragic deaths of Clifton residents Noel Korman (39 years old) and Alice Park (29 years old), who died Saturday after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a mixed-use commercial building in Passaic.


“My sincerest condolences to the Korman and Park families on their tragic loss.

“This awful turn of events could have been prevented by carbon monoxide detectors.

“Carbon monoxide is the most common cause of accidental poisoning-related deaths in the country, and yet mixed-use commercial buildings in New Jersey are not required to have carbon monoxide detectors.

“I have directed my office to draft legislation that would require mixed-use commercial buildings to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors in hopes that we can prevent future tragedies.”