(TRENTON) – Assembly Speaker Craig Coughlin announced today that he will establish a new advisory panel to assist him and other members of Assembly Leadership on efforts to ensure New Jersey can responsibly recover from the devastating impacts of COVID-19 when the pandemic subsides.
The private sector panel will consist of experts in the fields of government, health care, education, higher education, business, commerce, tourism, social services and more. The advisory panel will be chaired by George R. Zoffinger who has led six different companies in his professional career and is currently President and Chief Executive Officer at Constellation Capital Corp.
“I am pleased that George has agreed to preside as chairman of this vitally important panel,” said Coughlin (D-Middlesex). “George is a true New Jerseyan with a stellar reputation amongst his peers. He brings a wealth of expertise and a unique set of skills which I will draw upon as we develop a plan to ensure the state hits the ground running when the current public health crisis is finally over. It’s critically important to balance the health concerns with those of the state budget and the reopening of our economy, in the months ahead. George will help to bring that proper balance”
Zoffinger is a widely respected and highly regarded business leader. He is dedicated to aiding distressed entities as Chairman of the New Brunswick Development Corporation. He is recognized for his strong leadership while President and Chief Executive Officer of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority (2002-2007) and as Chairman of the New York and New Jersey World Cup Host Committee, Zoffinger led the efforts to bring World Cup 1994 games to New Jersey.
“I’m honored that Speaker Coughlin has selected me as chairman of this critical advisory panel,” said Zoffinger. “Our state needs to be prepared to recover safely, successfully and swiftly. We will continue to face unprecedented challenges, but with a comprehensive game plan we will be ready to get New Jersey back on track.”
The new advisory panel will also work with Assembly leaders including, but not limited to:
· Assembly Majority Leader Lou Greenwald (D-Camden, Burlington)
· Assembly Budget Committee Chairwoman Eliana Pintor Marin (D-Essex)
· Assembly Policy Chairman Gary Schaer (D-Bergen, Passaic)
· Assembly Appropriation Committee Chairman John Burzichelli (D-Gloucester, Cumberland, Salem)
· Assembly Commerce Committee Chairman Gordon Johnson (D-Bergen)
· Assembly Health Committee Chairman Herb Conaway, MD (D-Burlington)
· Assembly Education Committee Chairwoman Pam Lampitt (D-Camden, Burlington)
· Assembly Higher Education Committee Chairwoman Mila Jasey (D-Essex, Morris)
· Assembly Homeland Security Committee Chairwoman Angela McKnight (D-Hudson)
· Assembly State and Local Government Committee Chairman Vince Mazzeo (D-Atlantic)
· Assembly Human Services Committee Chairwoman Joann Downey (D-Monmouth)
· Assembly Community Development and Affairs Committee Chairwoman Shavonda Sumter (D-Bergen, Passaic)
· Assembly Tourism, Gaming and the Arts Committee Chairman Ralph Caputo (D-Essex)