(TRENTON) — Assembly Speaker Sheila Y. Oliver will host a turkey giveaway benefitting 34th district residents on Tuesday, November 20, 2012. The turkeys will be given to churches and non-profits in and around the district that will then either distribute the turkeys to families or prepare the turkeys to feed needy families in Essex and Passaic counties.
“Thanksgiving is one of our most cherished holidays. It’s a time to reflect and enjoy some wonderful food with our loved ones. Sadly, not all families can afford a Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings, so we’re hoping to ease the expense with this giveaway,” said Oliver (D-Essex/Passaic). “No one should have to forgo the traditional turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, so I encourage all residents of the 34th district who could use a little help this holiday season to stop by one of the participating organizations to pick up a turkey.”
Speaker Oliver will distribute 500 turkeys donated by Shoprite of East Orange and their parent company Village Super Market, Inc. to various organizations. Each organization will have a limited supply. The following organizations in the following cities are participating:
- East Orange (Sierra House, Isaiah House, Faith Temple No. 1, New Hope Baptist Church, St. Paul AME Church, EO Family Success Center, EO Economic Development Corp, EO Division of Senior Services, Bethyl Presbyterian Church, Elmwood Presbyterian Church, Imani Baptist Church);
- Clifton (St. Peters Haven Church);
- Montclair (Montclair Neighborhood Development Corp, Montclair Child Development Corp., Million Man);
- Newark (New Hope Baptist Church, Bethany Baptist Church, Polaris Project); and
- Orange (Union Baptist Church, Bethel Baptist Church, Mt. Olive Church of God, Love Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church,Hispanos Mano a Mano, Thomas Colson Woody Community Foundation, Matthews AME Church, First United Tabernacle International Ministries, Redeemed Christian Church of God, Church of the Epiphany, Orange Housing Authority, International Faith Ministries, Salem Towers, New Community Senior Bldg, Love of Jesus Church, Mt. Carmel Baptist Church, Ebenezer Baptist Church)
“We’re giving away a total of 500 turkeys for families to either prepare themselves or enjoy already cooked at one of the many participating organizations. Whether it’s spent at home or church, I wish all New Jerseyans a meaningful and fulfilling Thanksgiving,” said Oliver.