Recent Death, Impending Summer Heat Sparks Statement
Speaking as a mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker (D-Essex) issued the following heartfelt statement Thursday in response to the recent death of a New Jersey child who reportedly died from heat exposure after being left in an automobile:
“I cannot begin to imagine the pain that this child’s parents must feel. There simply are no words to describe their heartache, but I do extend my condolences to them on their tragic loss.
“This child’s death, however, cannot be in vain. It must serve as a reminder to everyone—parents, caregivers and anyone entrusted to transport children—to please remember to take them out of the car. It could save their lives.
“I can actually speak to this issue, because the unfortunate incidences of heat-related deaths among children trapped inside motor vehicles led me to introduce legislation (A155) to help prevent such tragedies. It became law in 2018 and established a public awareness campaign to educate the community about the dangers of leaving children unattended in and around motor vehicles. These deaths can happen to even the most well intended parents or caregivers who unknowingly leave a sleeping baby in a car which can result in their injury or death.
“As warmer temperatures draw closer, it is extremely important that we remember how easily these deaths can occur. Let’s all do our part to prevent such unfortunate loss of life.”