In an effort to help veterans in New Jersey and throughout the country, the full Assembly unanimously passed a package of resolutions on Thursday calling on the United States Congress to pass federal legislation that would provide veterans with greater assistance and benefits.
The federal legislation referenced in the eight resolutions would address a lack of access to military pensions, compensation and benefits for certain disabled veterans and their families; provide unemployed veterans with education benefits; help veterans exposed to certain toxins during their service access healthcare and benefits; and assist disabled veterans with purchasing adaptive vehicles.
These measures support the federal legislative priorities of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Upon the passage of the resolutions, Assemblywoman Cleopatra Tucker (D-Essex), Chair of the Military and Veterans Committee and one of the prime sponsors of each measure, issued the following statement:
“Our veterans willingly sacrificed so much when they chose to serve in the military and defend our country. Many have sustained injuries and disabilities from their duties they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. It is our duty to provide former military members – especially our disabled veterans – with the support they need as they make their way through civilian life.
“The federal legislation we respectfully call upon Congress to pass would help address some of the biggest issues facing veterans in our country today. It is time to ensure all our veterans receive the assistance and benefits they deserve.”
The following resolutions passed the Assembly and will now be transmitted to members of Congress and other federal officials:
- AR-258 (Armato, Tucker & Karabinchak): Urges the U.S. Congress to pass the “Major Richard Star Act.”
- AR-259 (Swain, Tully & Tucker): Urges Congress to pass the “Veterans Economic Recovery Act of 2021.”
- AR-260 (Tully, Swain & Tucker): Urges the U.S. Congress to pass the “Retired Pay Restoration Act.”
- AR-261 (Downey, Houghtaling & Tucker): Respectfully urges Congress to pass the “Ensuring Survivor Benefits During COVID-19 Act of 2021.”
- AR-262 (Houghtaling, Downey & Tucker): Urges the passage of the federal “Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act.”
- AR-263 (Mazzeo, Tucker & Armato): Urges the U.S. Congress to pass the “K2 Veterans Care Act of 2021.”
- AR-264 (Tucker, Downey & Stanley): Urges the U.S. Congress to create a permanent and comprehensive framework for healthcare and benefits for veterans exposed to toxins during service.
- AR-265 (Stanley, Tucker & Karabinchak): Respectfully urges Congress to pass the Advancing Uniform Transportation Opportunities for Veterans Act.”